In 1947, a young Bouctouche doctor, Robert Marcoux, founded the Stella-Maris de Bouctouche Hospital , with 14 beds and seven pediatric beds. The facility closed in 1949 but reopened in 1952.
In 1955, the Sisters of Notre-Dame-du-Sacré-Cœur took over management of the hospital and continued to do so until it closed for good in 1962. Four years later, in 1966, the Stella-Maris-de-Kent Hospital opened in Sainte-Anne-de-Kent, half way between Bouctouche and Richibucto, the perfect location to provide medical care to residents of Kent County. The Sisters of Notre-Dame-du-Sacré-Cœur owned and ran the 45-bed health care facility.
In 1992, the hospital had 20 beds. Emphasis was placed on outpatient consultations. The Stella-Maris-de-Kent Hospital was defined as a Catholic hospital and was included as part of the Beauséjour Hospital Corporation.
The next year saw the launch of a large-scale modernization project. The Kent County Extra-Mural Program moved into the Stella-Maris-de-Kent Hospital.
In 2005, nearly 40 years after the Stella-Maris-de-Kent Hospital opened its doors, a new emergency department was officially opened.
The Stella-Maris-de-Kent Hospital serves a population of about 40,000 people in over 22 communities. This 20-bed hospital includes on its team around 20 physicians (emergency medicine physicians and specialists), 110 employees, and 20 or so volunteers. The hospital has a large community presence because it participates in various collaborative projects with stakeholders in the social and health arenas.
The hospital also serves the Native communities of Elsipogtog, Indian Island, and Buctouche.
The hospital is sponsored by Catholic Health International and a member of the Catholic Health Association of New Brunswick.