The Respiratory Therapy Department is staffed by a respiratory therapist who works in a number of areas, including Emergency, the Medical Unit, etc. The therapist provides specialized services as needed, such as:
- Pulmonary function tests;
- Teaching on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD);
- Teaching on smoking cessation;
- Samples for arterial blood gas analysis of inpatients and outpatients;
- Teaching, care, and treatment of patients with chronic or acute respiratory problems;
- Administration of drugs.
The respiratory therapist works closely with the physicians and the care team to assess, maintain or treat patients’ pulmonary function.
The service is provided to patients referred by a physician or nurse practitioner.
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.