The St. Joseph Hospital officially opened its doors on May 18, 1953, in Dalhousie. The $1.5 million facility was managed by the congregation of Les Filles de Jésus.
The hospital started with 75 beds, increasing to 100 in 1964.
Six years after the hospital opened, the government took over responsibility for the cost of hospital services, which up to then had been the responsibility of Les Filles de Jésus. The same year, the facility was officially accredited for the first time.
The number of services provided in the region significantly increased in the 70s and 80s. In 1997 the number of beds decreased to 42.
In 2005, the hospital became a community health centre providing ambulatory care, a walk-in clinic, and a collaborative practice staffed by six physicians and two nurse practitioners. In 2007, the Dialysis Unit was opened as a satellite of the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont Regional Hospital in Moncton.