The Clinical Nutrition Department meets requests for:
- nutritional assessment;
- education for inpatients and outpatients.
It provides services in the following facilities:
- Campbellton Regional Hospital, including the Hemodialysis and Palliative Care units;
- St. Joseph Community Health Centre;
- Restigouche Hospital Centre;
- E. L. Murray Medical Clinic.
The Clinical Nutrition Department has devised various protocols and programs to better meet patients’ needs:
- nutritional intervention for patients with cardiovascular disease;
- diabetes education;
- enteral nutritional support (oral and tube feeding);
- parenteral nutritional support (by intravenous injection);
- assessment and treatment of dysphagia (difficulty swallowing);
- interdisciplinary program for dietary behavioural disorders;
- youth Motivaction clinic for children with weight problems;
- obesity prevention and weight management program for patients at the Restigouche Hospital Centre.
- Assessment of nutritional needs and status
- Preparing nutritional care plans and determining appropriate follow-up
- Education for patients, families and professionals
- Screening certain target groups for malnutrition
- Individual or group consultation in Outpatients and at the Diabetes Clinic
The department is made up of dietitians who keep their knowledge up to date and are reliable resources. They provide specialized services that include:
- nutritional support;
- education on diabetic care;
- assessment and treatment of dysphagia (difficulty swallowing).