Illness and hospitalization can be stressful for patients and their families. The role of the social worker is to help people find solutions to difficult situations.
Social workers are part of the health care team and members of the New Brunswick Association of Social Workers.
Reasons to consult a social worker:
- To find tools that will help handle a diagnosis or illness;
- To find housing for patients and families;
- To find financial aid programs to pay for medication, transportation or other needs;
- To find assistance programs (e.g. support groups, food bank) in the community;
- To plan for discharge;
- To organize family meetings where important issues can be discussed;
- To listen to people and encourage them in difficult times;
- To offer support in times of bereavement;
Those who feel that a social worker may be able to help them can speak about it to a nurse or a physician. The main office is located at:
Social Work Department – DGLDUHC
3rd Floor (Hôtel-Dieu)
330 Université Avenue
Moncton NB E1C 2Z3
Hours of service: Monday to Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.