The Pulmonary Clinic monitors patients who have chronic lung disease or another respiratory disorder. Since it opened in 2001, the clinic has offered:
- breathing retraining advice;
- asthma and chronic lung disease education programs;
- smoking cessation advice;
- monitoring to patients who came to the Emergency Department for a respiratory problem (as needed);
- assessment of education needs for inpatients who have a pulmonary diagnosis.
The programs offered at the clinic are organized on an outpatient basis. Their goal is to provide the best treatment possible, self-management of the disease, an improved quality of life, and fewer visits to the Emergency Department and shorter hospital stays.