Transparency and Openness Framework for Communication and Publication of Results
Vitalité Health Network is making more and more information available to people in the province of New Brunswick. People, interest groups, and community partners also have increasing opportunities to take part in the Network's discussions about the planning and prioritization of health care services.
As a health care leader, the Network has an important role in the delivery of high quality health care services that meet the needs of the population and is committed to showing a greater level of transparency and openness to boost confidence in its decisions. The Network is proposing this Transparency and Openness Framework for Communication and Publication of Results (called “the framework”) to support this commitment. This framework sets concrete measures taken to improve access to timely, relevant and useful information for people.
"Transparency" is used in the figurative sense to qualify a social practice guided by sincerity and full access to information in areas that relate to public opinion. It is also a desire to be accountable for an activity and acknowledge one's mistakes. The primary focus of transparency is to establish a trusting relationship. It is the opposite of opacity.
Every year the Network will draw up a list of measures that will be taken to improve transparency and openness in terms of communication and publication of its results. The Network will report on its accomplishments in this regard on a yearly basis.
2016-2018 Transparency and Openness Framework
This framework identifies the concrete measures that the Network plans on taking in the next two years to improve access to timely, relevant and useful information for people regarding the planning and delivery of health care services, as well as results obtained. The Network is planning on implementing these measures while respecting considerations related to the protection of privacy and the personal health information of its patients.
Planning and reporting
The Network is committed to showing transparency and openness as stated in this framework. In the next few years we will continue to make even more information available and easily accessible.
The Network will regularly report on its progress as part of this framework regarding key initiatives in terms of communication and publication of results.
Information and results already available
Through its website the Network is already providing a significant amount of information to the public on a wide range of topics:
- Leadership team's organizational chart;
- Patient rights and responsibilities;
- Code of Ethics;
- Board of Directors policies;
- Minutes of Board of Directors public meetings;
- Annual reports;
- Audited financial reports;
- Inpatient satisfaction survey;
- Outpatient satisfaction survey;
- Patient Guide;
- Visitor Guide;
- Procedure to ask questions or make comments;
- Procedure to express concerns or make a complaint;
- Performance indicators (hand hygiene compliance rate, MRAS and C. difficile nosocomial infection rates);
- Summary of the Clinical Services Plan – Phase 1;
- Press releases;
2016-2017 road map
- General Communication Plan
- Policy on relations with the media
- Summary of the Clinical Services Plan – Phase 2
- Performance indicators (percentage of beds occupied by long-term care patients, bed occupancy rate, costs per capita for health care)
- Quarterly results of inpatient satisfaction surveys
- Quarterly results of outpatient satisfaction surveys
- Strategic plan
- Working documents of Board of Directors public meetings
- Patient- and family-centered care strategy
- Records of the President and CEO's travel and representation expenses.
- Quality plan
2017-2018 road map
- Performance indicators (C-section rate, percentage of admission for ambulatory care sensitive conditions, medication reconciliation on admission implementation rate)
- Records of the leadership team's travel and entertainment expenses
- Records of the Board of Directors' travel and entertainment expenses and fees
- Minutes of the Board of Directors committees and working documents
- President and CEO's work contract
- Accreditation reports following the survey and summary report of survey
Approved by the Board of Directors – March 1, 2016