Board Policy CA-400: President and CEO Performance Review and Development Process
Effective date: 2019-06-18
- Measure the performance of the President and Chief Executive Officer (the “President and CEO”) using the Performance Review and Development Plan (see copy attached) based on the annual objectives approved by the Board of Directors (the “Board”).
- Provide feedback from the Board to the President and CEO to clarify expectations regarding his duties and support him in his professional development.
- The Board establishes a President and CEO Performance Review and Development Committee (made up of the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson) to jointly develop the Performance Review and Development Plan with the President and CEO.
- The Performance Review and Development Committee is responsible for implementing the annual President and CEO review process.
- The Performance Review and Development Committee, in consultation with the entire Board of Directors, conducts an annual review of the President and CEO’s performance and development. Thus, the President and CEO’s contribution to the Network’s objectives for the year ending is evaluated through a rigorous process and is officially documented.
- The performance review and development process provides an opportunity to acknowledge the President and CEO’s performance and develop organizational priorities collaboratively for the coming year in order to improve strategic planning and support the President and CEO and the organization. The Board of Directors evaluates the President and CEO’s performance diligently based on the position profile, the Performance Review and Development Plan, and the Board’s policies.
- The appraisals and ratings recommended for incentive pay, measured against the President and CEO Performance Review and Development Plan for the previous fiscal year, should be completed before the end of the first quarter of the following fiscal year.
The President and CEO Performance Appraisal and Development tool will be used (Appendix CA-400(1)).
- The President and CEO’s performance is evaluated annually based on the fiscal year. The current year’s evaluation will be completed by the end of the first quarter of the following year at the latest.
- The Board officially delegates this duty to the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson. The Committee ensures that all members of the Board take part in the review process during the acceptance and evaluation phases of the Performance Review and Development Plan.
- The committee evaluates the President and CEO’s performance using the Performance Review and Development Plan as established at the start of the year. The committee reports to the entire Board on the evaluation and asks Board members for comments on the President and CEO’s performance. These comments are included in the President and CEO’s evaluation.
- The Board can from time to time carry out an evaluation factoring in the opinion of internal and external stakeholders but must carry out such an evaluation at least every three years. The Board can obtain support from external consultants to do this part of the evaluation.
Responsibilities and time frames
||President and CEO||April|
||Performance Review and Development Committee||April|
||President and CEO and Performance Review and Development Committee||May|
||Performance Review and Development Committee and President and CEO||September|
||President and CEO||Late March early April|
||Performance Review and Development Committee and President and CEO||April|
||Performance Review and Development Committee and President and CEO||May|
- Performance management supports, reinforces and integrates the achievement of the results of the business plan and annual plan with individual performance objectives.
- Compliance with standards, measurements and indicators should be established in the President and CEO Performance Review and Development Plan.
- Performance commitments and measurements should be set at a level that reflects the high level of performance expected.
- Performance management focuses on both the improvement of organizational processes and structure and the improvement of the President and CEO’s performance.
- The President and CEO Performance Review and Development Plan should include a reference to the President and CEO’s expectations for the organization’s senior managers, thereby promoting a consistent and continuous approach in performance measurement within the Leadership Team.
- The President and CEO Performance Review and Development Plan will include a personal development plan.