The Breast Health Clinic is a referral clinic offering access to a multidisciplinary medical team specializing in:
- Treatment of breast abnormalities (benign and malignant).
Patients are referred for breast abnormalities such as a mass, discharge, pain, lesions, or skin changes.
For a woman to get an appointment at the clinic, a referral must be sent by:
- Her family physician or a specialist who suspects a breast problem;
- A radiologist who detects a problem on a screening or diagnostic mammogram.
The Clinic’s team consists of these professionals who work together closely:
- Radiation oncologists;
- Radiology technicians;
- Nurse navigators;
- Plastic surgeons.
The Breast Health Clinic team works to:
- Reduce waiting periods for diagnosis and treatment;
- Support patients;
- Provide proper follow-up at every stage of the continuum of care;
- Screen and treat high-risk patients.
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
At this time, the clinic’s services are offered at several sites in the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre (DGLDUHC), but a new integrated breast health centre will soon be established at the DGLDUHC. This centre will offer a breast health program to all women using Vitalité Health Network’s services. Thanks to the Integrated Breast Health Centre, women will benefit from the services of a multidisciplinary team under one roof, in an innovative and integrated environment.
Breast health nurse navigators
Breast health nurse navigators collaborate with the medical team and play a frontline role with patients of the Breast Health Clinic. They:
- Answer patients’ questions and try to alleviate their concerns;
- Make sure patients receive the support they need;
- Meet patients’ physical, psychological, social, and educational needs.
Breast health information sessions are provided on appointment to women who want to learn how to quickly screen for abnormalities and keep their breasts healthy.
Hours of operation: Monday, from 9:00 a.m. to noon
To make an appointment, dial 506-862-4164.