The lazaretto opened in 1849 to take in lepers when the Sheldrake Island lazaretto was moved from the Miramichi region to Tracadie.
On September 29, 1868, the Religious Hospitallers of Saint Joseph moved to Tracadie to care for the lepers.
In 1897, after great efforts by the community and the Religious Hospitallers, the people of Tracadie and area had a 30-bed hospital. It was the first French-language hospital in the Maritimes.
On January 6, 1943, fire destroyed the hospital. Only three years later, in 1946, did the 80-bed Hôtel-Dieu Saint-Joseph de Tracadie admit its first patient. An adjacent wing was built to care for lepers, and it remained open until 1965.
From 1947 to 1973, the hospital was recognized as a preparation and training institution for nurses and practical nurses.
In 1951, the Hôtel-Dieu Saint-Joseph de Tracadie was accredited by the Canadian Council on Hospital Accreditation.
In 1977, the hospital became the Hôtel-Dieu Saint-Joseph de Tracadie Inc. The Religious Hospitallers remained its owners and agreed to cede their residence to the hospital to allow expansion.
Construction of the current hospital began on August 31, 1986, and it was officially opened on June 9, 1991. Today, the Tracadie Hospital still provides inpatient services in a 59-bed facility, as well as basic services in medicine, concentrated care, palliative care, and dialysis, not to mention diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, support and ambulatory care.