In 1941, upon his arrival in the Lamèque region, Father Louis Morin was quick to note the high number of deaths resulting from a lack of hospital care. With the support of residents and various associations on the island, he approached the Religious Hospitallers of Saint Joseph to persuade them to establish a hospital in the community.
On February 6, 1949, three nuns and Dr. Euchère Cormier were welcomed to the parish. That same year, the Lamèque Hospital Women's Auxiliary started their work. This group of women made sure that the nuns and patients had what was needed for proper care to be provided.
In 1959, an advisory committee received the mandate to build a new hospital because the first one had become too small and was outdated. The ground blessing took place on September 25, 1961 and the tractors were running the very next day. The 42-bed hospital opened its doors in 1963.
In 1972, the provincial government took over the management of the hospital, which until that time had been provided by the Religious Hospitallers.
In 1987, a rehabilitation unit was added to the hospital. In 1992, the number of beds fell to 15.
In 2003, it was announced that a community health centre would be added to the Lamèque Hospital. This meant that health promotion, disease prevention, and chronic disease management capabilities were added.
In 2005, the number of beds fell to 12, with three for end-of-life patients (palliative care) and nine for patients awaiting placement.