Board Policy CA-410: Board of Directors Evaluation Framework
Effective date: 2018-06-26
- Ensure continuous improvement of the Board, its committees/working groups, and members;
- Obtain feedback for Board and Executive succession planning and members’ reappointment;
- Identify education and development needs;
- Offer an opportunity to provide feedback on the effectiveness of the meetings of the Board and its committees.
- The Board of Directors (the “Board”) will use an annual evaluation protocol. The evaluation protocol will deal with the processes and structure of the Board and its committees/working groups, and include a self-evaluation of each administrator.
The Governance and Nomination Committee will implement an annual evaluation process for the Board, its committees and officers based on the following policies:
- Terms of Reference of the Board of Directors and Governance Structure (CA-120);
- Board of Directors’ Committees (CA-300);
- Duties of the Chairperson of the Board of Directors (CA-140);
- Duties of the Vice-Chairperson of the Board of Directors (CA-150);
- Duties of the Treasurer of the Board of Directors (CA-160);
Duties of the Secretary of the Board of Directors (CA-170).
This process will include:
- The main indicators identified by the Board to measure its effectiveness and performance;
- External resources as appropriate to ensure an effective process;
- The Board evaluation using one or several tools to solicit comments, for instance a written survey or group session;
- The self-assessment tools and processes of Board members, including opportunities to identify education and development needs and whether a member wishes to be considered for an administrator position;
- A Board report on the results of assessment issues and key actions to be solved to ensure the ongoing improvement of the entire Board and its administrators.